Friday, February 1, 2008

My most hated friend: Anxiety

Anyone who has or has dealt with anxiety knows what a completely overwhelming and debilitating thing it can be in your life.

My mom recalls that even as a toddler, if my socks didn't feel 'just right' I would completely fall apart. And trying to get me to make a decision about ANYTHING?? Forget it. You might as well have assumed that I was medically unable to do so, and just made the difficult decision your self whether or not I would like to buy the red shirt or the blue shirt. The good thing is, I would almost ALWAYS be pleased with whatever decision YOU made for me, just as long as I didn't have to make it.

Geez.

Lock me up now.

Since coming to the conclusion as of about 2001 that 'hmm. Could there be something clinically wrong here??', I have been saved by medication.

*everyone breathe a sigh of relief now*

*ahhhh*

Becoming pregnant in 2004, while *so* exciting to our little 2 person family, it was also the most terrifying moment of my life. I would now have to face those things that horrify me the most and cause my anxiety to rear it's ugly head back into my life.

I would love to be able to share those things on here, and while I like to think of my blog as a bit of a journal, I feel this is the LAST place I want to share such things-being as everyone from here to timbucktoo can read and laugh/squirm/shake their head about it. Just wouldn't do good things for those anxious tendencies I so lovingly talk about. Maybe some day.

In my first pregnancy, my OB switched meds on me, being as the one I was on wasn't proven to be safe for pregnancies. Ok, fine, no biggie. Wait. YES BIGGIE!

Anyone who knows anxiety knows that one makes themselves physically sick from worrying about things.

Playing around with your precious meds on top of your already nauseating pregnancy hormones =pure hell. I was sick THE ENTIRE PREGNANCY.

So, here we are, pregnancy #2 (which I swore would NEVER take place in a million years), back to where I was with pregnancy #1.

I'm so so sick.

I called and requested maybe a DIFFERENT anti-anxiety medicine today, seeing as I felt the last time I was 'knocked up' it didn't work, and it appears to not be working again, but I was told to 'ride it out' for 3 weeks.

oh. ok. NO PROBLEM.

I have found, in addition to being REALLY sick from the pregnancy hormones shooting their bastard faces through my body, I'm also HORRIBLY anxious, which in turn is making me unbelievably physically sick to my stomach.

Are you still following me? Have I scared you off yet? *sigh*

Over the span of the last few days, I have slowly learned that while I should be getting as much quiet rest as possible, I CANNOT go lay down unless I am so totally DEAD TIRED, otherwise I will lay there and worry myself literally sick. One of the biggies, like I mentioned before, is that I'm SO terrified of throwing up. And when I lay there in the quiet and think to myself 'oh my gosh, am I going to throw up?? Is it coming now? I'm going to die if I do!!' I get sicker. And so begins the vicious cycle.

Man, I really am a basket case, aren't I?

I do honestly realize when I sit and think about it (which I don't like to do for too long), that I WILL NOT die if I throw up. Whats the worst that would happen? I would throw up. I get that, I really do. But my mind takes over and makes my body feel like I really will die if it happens. I don't consciously believe or think that, it's just the reaction my body has.

I'm dreading labor. Thats cool. Labor isn't fun, duh. But my mind is so overwhelmed with the fact that I would rather deliver this child through my left pinky toe, than through my hoo-hoo, that I then get sick. Again.

And so begins the cycle. Again.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of my mind, huh? I promise you, it would be the most terrifying horror flick to ever be seen.

I called this morning and in addition to requesting that my meds be changed, I also BEGGED and PLEADED with the receptionist at my OB office to PLEASE have the nurse call me and to PLEASE call something in for this horrible nausea-the nausea that has taken over entire days and left me with nothing in my tummy but a few rumblies. EVERY LITTLE TINY THING I EAT IS GOING RIGHT THROUGH ME.

They called 7 hours later.

And hadn't asked the Doctor about anti-nausea meds.

Oh joy.

So, here I am, home alone because my sweet hubby thought he would give mommy some awesome quiet time while he took Liv to the giant electronic store nearby.

STILL.WAITING.FOR.DOCTOR.TO.CALL.

Aren't ya glad you all decided to read my post today? ;)

14 comments:

Kelly said...

If we were the same age, I'd swear we were separated at birth. I about drove my mom crazy with my sock fetish. She said she spent so much $ on socks and would give them to the neighbor girls because I would about have a coronary if they didn't fit right. Are we somehow related??

In all seriousness, you KNOW I understand COMPLETELY where you are right now, been there done that too many times. I so hope and pray you feel better soon and can get some anti-nausea meds. That might help you feel better and then maybe the anxiety will calm you down too. PLEASE email me anytime you need to vent. And remember, you WILL make it through this!! (you also have a very sweet husband!)

Kelly said...

Oh, I almost forgot. I hate decisions of every kind, yet I hate to be told what to do. What's a girl to do with that??

Wonderful World said...

Hey we don't know each other. I just happened upon you blog today of all days :) I'll be praying for you and your anxiety and pregnancy. Sounds like a really rough time. I read this on someone's blog and though it may encourage you. Her anxieties are different from yours , but I pray the principal of taking thoughts captive and replacing them with good, true thoughts...I mean literally, out loud, as loud as it takes to drown out the other thoughts...I pray that will be helpful to you. Here's the quote, it's from a devotional book called "Jesus Calling".

Jesus Calling for today-- "Let the goal of this day be to bring every thought captive to Me. Whenever your mind wanders lasso those thoughts and bring them into My Presence. In My radiant Light, anxious thoughts shrink away. Judgemental thoughts are unmasked as you bask in My unconditional Love. Confused ideas are untangled while you rest in the simplicity of My Peace. I will guard you and keep you in perfect Peace, as you focus your mind on Me.

2 Corinthians 10:5

Fighting untrue thoughts too!

Gregg Koskela said...

I'm so sorry, Abbie. I'm praying for you tonight, that God's presence can sit with you, hold you in your anxious moments. Hang on to him.

Megasmiles Personalized goodies! said...

Love you! If i could take the yuck feelings for a few days so you could rest I would! I pray that the Doc calls you soon and you get what you need to feel better.

Redhead in Vegas said...

i sent you a myspace message. go check it out. it may help. love ya and feel good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Abbie,
I am thinking about you and how much waiting is such a frustrating and anxiety producing thing. I'm so sorry you're in this place right now. And I pray that as each moment ticks by you'll know that God is right there with you-and so are your friends. You are God's precious child-and no matter how crazy you feel right now, God knows the true Abbie-He created you and loves you and wants you to feel His peace.
Michelle

kim-d said...

Awww, Abbie, I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. And that "medical professionals" don't have the courtesy to make timely callbacks. It will be better once they get the meds straightened out, but that doesn't help in the moment! I hope you were able to get some answers...and the right meds.

HoodMama said...

Ok, I'm going to make some calls to my people and see how I can get this taken care of.
Oh, Abbie, I don't have people, I'm a fixer and I'm so sorry I can't help you!
The Lord your God is mighty to save. He takes great delight in you. He quiets you with His love and rejoices over you with singing. Zeph. 3:17.
I have a friend who struggles with the same thing and I know it can be overwhelming.
I'll be praying for you.

kathy said...

Oh, Abbie, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'm glad you are surrounded by good people and that you're willing to let them join you on the journey. My thoughts and prayers for peace and a good night's rest tonight. And, don't give your doctor a moment's rest until you get the help you need!

These Three Kings said...

Hey..you dont know me but my name is nicole and I can relate to your struggles.. I my self struggled with anxiety in the past and have had panic attacks like nothing you can ever imagine.. I rememer having my little girl and feeding her and then thinking as I was feeding her, her choking, then me patting her on the back, then her choking, then me running around screaming, then her dying and then me planning her funeral..yes I just posted this..because GOD is good and HE has shown me with my past struggles that HE ALONE is the only that could help me with what I was anxios about( big trucks, driving over bridges, death, ect...) I want to encourage you to start off with keeping an anxiety journal..write down what is happening when you become affraid, what you are thinking at that moment, and what you were thinking before the attack or thought happend...Read and meditate on Matt 6, Phillippians 4:6-13..its going to be a challenge but girl you can do it..GOd wants you to be free from fear..if we have TRUSTED in HIM as LORD and savior than SURELY we can trust HIM with the little things in life..anyway... I can go on and on about this topic.. I will be praying for you..lets keep in touch!!!
Nic

These Three Kings said...

oh..sorry for double posting..but the purpose of the Anxiety journal is for you to see what is trigger your thoughts that lead to fear...this will help you to know what TRUTH you may need to start telling your self about your circumstance..all of our fears, anger or whatever all begins with a THOUGHT

Abbie said...

What wonderful people I have in my life, new and old aquaintances. You guys have truly blessed me. Reached in and hugged my heart. I love you guys to the moon and back, even if I've never seen half of your mugs in real life, you have shown me what it means to truly love through God.

kathy said...

Abbie, we're barely acquainted and I'm not about giving tons of advice to anyone but something nichole wrote worries me...It's what she said about GOD ALONE. That's true but, for me, that concept became an isolating trap. I struggle with mild depression and for years I figured because I was a Christian and Jesus should be all I needed, I didn't tell much of anyone. I prayed a *lot*. I gritted my teeth and carried on. I failed to recognize Jesus in the hearts and minds of other people so I didn't let them, and therefore HIM, in to help. *God alone* provides us with the loving people we need when we need them. He orchestrates the scientists who concoct our meds. He kicks just the right doctor out the door when you arrive desperate for help. He's *in* your husband who holds your hand through it all and your mother who cooks dinner for your family. He surrounds you through the prayers of those you confide in. God doesn't work alone! Don't ever think he does or you'll be trapped to and I would hate that for you.