Friday, February 29, 2008

Here goes nuthin'...

I'm attacking the big question first, well, because I've been stewing over 'the right' thing to say.

I don't want to come off holier than thou, because of how firm I am in what I believe, but I also do not want to come off as one that is unsure about what I believe in.

Here's the question, asked by my favorite Carey in the whole world:

"If you had the opportunity to know, I mean really know, that religion and faith were just something created by humanity, would you want to know and would it change the way you live your life, teach your children, etc..."

The short and sweet answer is, no, it wouldn't change the way I live my life and raise my children, because I've grown up with my faith my entire life. It is 100% a part of who I am, and thats not something I would just be literally able to forget in a heartbeat.

God asks us to have 'simple faith'. Simply believe that he loves us more than any human on earth could possibly love another. And believe that he wants what is the absolute best for us, which is a perfect life in Heaven, with no pain, no tears, no crummy stuff.

To specifically pinpoint why I believe what I believe isn't something I can just put my finger on. It's an on-going transformation that God has done and is continuing to do on the inside of me. Something God is doing on the inside to constantly remind me that I am NEVER alone, and that I am SO incredibly loved.

While so many on earth can disappoint, hurt, and shame us, it's such a comfort to know that we have a PERFECT father, friend, and confidant in God to rely on.

I have seen God do absolutely beautiful things in my life! I would never be able to deny someone who has literally saved me from the very darkest pits of myself and proven time and time again that he IS LOVE. The very definition of it.

I hope I have somewhat answered the question for you Carey. It's the hardest question I have honestly ever been faced with, and I didn't in anyway want my answer to turn you or anyone else off of the beauty and grace that is God.

Thanks for putting me on the spot! :)

7 comments:

Amy said...

abby,

you made such a heartfelt statement, and i admire you for it. that was beautiful!

have a great weekend!

Jenny said...

Well...does this mean you are just IGNORING the rest of our questions???

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!! And I am so sure that God smiled when you wrote this! You are a wonderful, Godly mommy!!! Baby number two is so lucky He/she is in your tummy! :)

kim-d said...

Oh Abbie...that is beautiful! It's like you looked into my head and heart and put words to what has been there for so long, and always will be, but that I haven't been able to put into words myself. Your words are incredibly touching and...just right.

Redhead in Vegas said...

abbie-
i have always wondered what it would be like for us to change brains for a day. considering that i am pretty sure that isn't going to happen any time soon, i figured this question was a chance for me to get a small glimpse in. it has always amazed me how similar we are; our quirky sense of humor, general disdain of annoying, stupid people, and inability to appreciate how awesome we really are. so similar, but sooooo different in our fundamental beliefs. i expected your answer to be exactly what you said. i am so happy that you feel so loved and content and proud that you not afraid to express it. you are absolutely amazing and i am so happy that we are friends.

now, how about answering the one about baby names. that sounds fun!

Gregg Koskela said...

Oh wow! Beautiful, awesome, I feel honored to know you, Abbie. Thanks for this!!!

Jenny said...

Well...I actually meant to put a smiley face in my comment, but since I didn't I think I came across as a Goofey Goober.
I am totally envious of your faith, Abbie. I can elaboate in an email (even though I haven't sent my first email I've been waiting to do)...and maybe you can bestow upon me your vast knowledge and opinion in this topic as well! Now, answer the other questions, darnit! :) :) :) :)
Love ya!