Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One of MANY 'duh!' moments in my life....

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a *total* Target/Walmart/Ikea whore. No, I'm not making sweet love in the toilet paper aisle, I'm talking about how GREAT I am at finding SAWEET deals and creating an aesthetically pleasing home out of my many finds.

Well yesterday, I actually got out of the house. Yes, I know, pick your jaws up off the ground. It's true. No really!! Ask Megan!

Megan, tell them! Tell them how I was even half way presentable-I was showered, blow-dried, and *gasp* had even painted my face a bit!

So there I was, out and about, shopping a nearby outdoor mall. Now, I'm not talkin' out door K-mart here people, I'm talkin' up-scale shopping, where a mini espresso is nearing $95 and a pair of mens underwear is, well, you might as well just give them your first born....

Lo and behold, we come upon a pretty popular home furnishings and kitchen/dining/livingroom accessories store. While paying my right leg for an incredibly gorgeous hurricane vase sounded extremely appealing, I thought, no, I'll just LOOK. You know, that walk-around-and-browse-with-no-intent-of-buying thing that us women do so well.

Our Dishwasher as of late seems to be ingesting our silverware. Much like socks in a dryer, I SWEAR way fewer utensils come out of there then originally were put in to be cleaned. So imagine my surprise when I come across some INCREDIBLY priced silverware sets in the kitchen area of the store. I'm talkin' some AWESOMELY heavy silverware for 18 buckaroos. So here I am, GIDDY from my crazy good find, thinking I have fooled the money Gods once again, and I pranced up to the nearest associate and told her which set I was interested in and she asked me 'ok, how many settings?' I replied nonchalantly with 'oh, just the 5 setting thing like it says on the tag'.

Ok, here's where I felt the need to crawl under the nearest $895,000 rug and hide: She replies back with this I-am-so-embarrassed-for-you look on her face 'oh, well, the price is for EACH place setting.'

Oh.

So I saunter back over to the display mumbling something about 'ok, just let me look a little more then' and as soon as the coast was clear made the nearest exit.

Turns out the sign said $18 for a 5 piece setting, and my dumb ass read that as $18 for a 5 place setting.

And THAT my friends, is why I'm not let out of the house often.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm a bargain shopper too and would have definitely done the same thing! You are not alone! LOL

Sounds like you had a fun time getting out. Are feeling better at all??

Amy said...

the nerve of them charging that. don't ya think? i would have done the same exact thing!

btw, we have some serious flatware thiefs here!!!

Jenny said...

Don't you hate that? And really, the pitiful sales person probably wouldn't spend that much, either. I went to one of the Rehoboth Beach outlet shops (doesn't the word "outlet" make you think good deals?) and promptly walked out. It was a shop of all little girls clothes, and the first tank top I picked up was, like, $35. For a tank top. For a girl under 6 years old. WTH?

Unknown said...

Serious deal stalker here...I would've done the same thing. Our utensils scoundrel throws them in the trash!! So I got a good deal at Target on an eight piece set for like $24. Not the deal you were gonna get, but since we're throwin' 'em away...geez!

kim-d said...

Oh Abstress, I SO saw this one coming...except I thought for sure it was gonna turn out that the $18 was just for the FORK or something! I just bought a whole boxload of really great flatware at K-Mart for 19.99. And, by golly, it works just like the expensive stuff! HA!

HoodMama said...

totally done it. totally. Instead of flatwear, it was sheets. I now have developed my husband's most annoying habit of not only getting a great deal but telling everyone about it. Like the top? Thanks! It was 14.99...

Megasmiles Personalized goodies! said...

It was good to see you out of the house and looking happy about it!! And I didn't tell you this at the time, but my first trip to that store when they first opened I did the same thing that you did!! Great minds think alike!

Jennifer said...

Oh boy, have I done that too :) I have to say though, I seem to find the very best deals at Kohls. I found a sweater for Gabriel for $2.80 just two days ago! A Chaps sweater! That will fit him next winter! Made my day right there...it's the little things, I tell ya :)

MKHKKH said...

I am deal hooker too! I get almost high off finding a steal of a deal. And I always have to buy it if it is a deal, even if we don't need it. I might someday and I would kick myself for not getting it!

What a deal that would have been. Bummer!