Monday, January 7, 2008

I'm not mental. I swear.

Ok having gone back and read and re-read my last post from this morning, I realize I may have had a temporary freak out moment. Jenny left a calm-lets-look-at-this-from-all-sides comment, and may have put me in my place. Temporarily. :) No, I don't hate you my sweet Jenny, it's people like you that I thank God for bringing in and slapping my hand and saying 'hey, take a breath and maybe a chill pill while you are at it'.

While I don't necessarily agree with the fact that this mother thinks we should be encouraging our children to 'touch' themselves, I think this woman, like Jenny suggested, may have been just presenting the idea of not being so quick to act on impulse (like beating the crap out of our kids) when we see them doing something that we may feel might be less than kosher. While this is a bit of a 'touchy' (no pun intended) subject with me, I will take breath (and maybe a pill or two) and reconsider the idea of burning all my parenting magazines.

Thanks my sweet Jenny friend. :)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

You're so cute. Your welcome, and I'm proud of you for taking that breath. I'm all about modesty, for myself and my girls, really. I don't care if they hate me, but my girls will NOT wear daisy-dukes and all of that other crap. They will and do view their body as something sacred for themselves and eventually someone they love to cherish. I agree with you completely. But no, I don't think you should burn your mags. I like Parents better, though. They have good, easy recipes for aspiring cooks like yourself! :)

HoodMama said...

Ooh! I just had to go stop and pop myself some popcorn. This is some good stuff!
I even looked up the original article. Too much time on my hands? Maybe.
We've sure got a lot of messages being sent out to our kiddos through advertising, etc. It will be a tough road to navigate teaching them what is perfectly natural and beautiful and at the same time pushing against all that they'll hear from the world.
My son's favorite position is on the couch, watching spongebob with his hands down his pants. Nice.

Abbie said...

Melissa~ You are too funny...My hubby has been known to do the same thing-although usually it's football, not spongebob!haha I have to say though, there IS in my opinion a definite difference between between lounging with your hands down your pants and what I believe this woman to be insinuating-that we should be encouraging our kids to *ahem* masturbate. I don't agree with that at all. But to each his own I suppose....

Redhead in Vegas said...

ok, i am happy that you printed a retraction(somewhat) i read the article, too, and had a much different reaction to it. listen abs, we are good moms and we are going to make sure that our little girls are not giving up the goods, but i really think that letting them know that their bodies are special, but not something that should be hidden away is important. believe me, i get it, i won't post videos of ryan in the tub because i don't think it is right, but when she comes to me (in the future of course) and asks about her body i am ready to tell her that she is special and beautiful and has nothing to be ashamed of. i will also tell her that being curious is ok, but encourage her to talk to me or lance about it, and not her friends whose moms may not be like us. that way if we are on the same page about everything, she will feel safe about any weird feelings she may have. anyway you handle it, i know you will do great.