Saturday, January 5, 2008

I'll get you my pretty!!

There is a small chance that Dorthy and her posse from the Wizard of Oz flew through here all day yesterday and last night. WOW! Talk about a wind storm.

Putting Liv to bed last night was nightmarish. No pun intended. Well, maybe a small one. ;)
After we prayed I gave her a hug and quietly sneaked out while Daddy gave his hugs and 'don't scream, don't get out of bed' threats, and I came downstairs to wait for him. Once I eventually heard him making it down the stairs, I could also hear Livie yelling for him. With a sigh he sat on the couch and said "the rain is MAJORLY beating on her window and she's scared".

Instantly my mind goes to 'ok, how can we make this NOT scary?'. How can we make her little 2-year-old mind understand the rain and wind in a not-so-scary way? Can't exactly tell her that the rain is God crying (why is he so sad?) or that God is peeing (eww). What about the wind? Sneezing??
I think I've got a grasp on the whole thunder thing-it's just God clapping because he's so darn happy!

*maybe I've just lost my mind and need to sit her down with a science book and give it to her straight*

What do/did you mothers tell your children at this age to calm their fears?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yowza...I totally did not see these other posts earlier today. I guess I got all excited over Jack Handy and stopped there! Sorry! Anyway, I have to tell you something you won't want to hear. I think Erik and I just always took each storm at a time, went back into their rooms a million times when they yelled until they were asleep, and eventually they just grew out of it. I think kids are smarter than the whole "The wind is just fairy wings (wink wink)", they don't like the sound and it doesn't matter what you say. This, too, shall pass!

Sherry said...

I love the sound of rain on our skylights. Maybe if you bring it up during the day and tell her how you find it so relaxing and cozy, how happy you are that God is watering the plants for us while we sleep, etc, she'll catch your positive vibes.

HoodMama said...

So sorry! I've got nothing for you. I usually have to lay down and fnuggle (that's how they pronounce it) until they fall asleep. Olivia is deathly afraid of tornadoes even though we've never seen one. I was a genius and bought the Wizard of Oz for a road trip. I forgot about the small detail of exactly how Dorothy got to Oz. Tornado. Fun times.