Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Yes, I do realize my newborn is over a week old now and I haven't posted more than a few pictures of her precious face....but I'm sitting on a bag of frozen vegetables right now, so whine to someone else about it.

I thought I'd share a little more in depth of how things went last weekend. I know you all have been just sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to hear all about it, right? RIGHT?!

Friday I went into the doctor because I was having so many contractions and so much pressure in the you-know-what. But alas, I was not dilated a single centimeter. Darn you, you stupid cervix!!

I was so burnt out. SO exhausted. And I knew my doctor was not one to be real gung-ho on inducing labor early, so I had no hope for relief anytime soon. Then ,that precious doctor spoke words from heaven: 'well, if you were sitting here wringing my neck telling me that you couldn't handle to have this baby in you another second then I could see about possibly getting things started tonight.'

uhhhh. Tonight tonight?? Like this very day tonight? Like I could potentially be holding a baby in my arms instead of my too tightly stretched belly as soon as tomorrow?!

WHOA.

We discussed how we would go about things and she sent me home to talk to John about it and see how he felt.

I believe his exact words were: 'Do we really have to wait until tonight?!'

I'm choosing to take that as him being SO excited to meet his new daughter rather than the idea that he wanted to do this sooner on the off chance my whining would stop that much sooner. :)

8:30pm we headed over to the hospital and got settled.

Oh, hold on...my veggies are melting...

Ok.

Without going into too much detail, the next morning we officially started induction. At which point I got my GLORIOUS Epidural. An Epidural which was to me like manna from heaven. Pure gold I tell ya.

The AWESOME thing about my glory-drug was that I felt literally not a thing. The entire labor and delivery. How sweet is that??
The downside about it is, again, that I literally could not feel a thing. In other words, each of my legs might as well have weighed 500 pounds, and my butt a good 700lbs by itself, which made it impossible to turn over from side to side without help and made me bedridden for the entire laboring day. Which made for an incredibly boring day for all involved. I think everyone there was hoping to see me writhing in pain, for their own entertainment. Well, I showed them...Jerks.
As you can see, we did manage to find things to do to keep us entertained:

John stole my SWEET hospital slippers for the weekend, and decided to take a picture of them as proof of how incredibly fabulous they were:

He then came over and flung my half-dead body off the hospital bed and took up residence on it himself because he felt he needed a little rest before 'we' started pushing. For those of you concerned, I know how to army crawl-which obviously came in handy at this point when my dead-legged body was sprawled on the floor.

After my long trek across the hospital room floor, I pulled myself back up onto the bed and managed to check some email.

I also had plenty of time during the day to finish some sewing. I know. It's weird.

It's a tradition between my sister and I to take a picture of the dilation chart each time the doctor confirms that we have, in fact, dilated further. Don't ask why. Again, it's weird. But we are ok with that.

Finally, John felt bad for the whole bed fiasco, so right before 'push baby out time', he held a mirror for me while I fixed my hair. Because everyone knows that newborns are so freaking judgemental, and the last thing I needed was that child holding my bad hair against me until the end of time.

With the help of a little Journey and Def Leppard playing in the background on our laptop, we pushed our way towards becoming parents for a second time and the reward was so great:

Samantha Jane joined our little family at 9:40pm on Saturday. She was 8lbs 8ozs and just darling as anything.

I think her big sister thinks so too:

And now starts a new adventure in our lives. Poor, poor daddy. :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Great job mama!

Kelly said...

You're probably the only person I know that could make a story about labor and delivery funny.

Great story, I'm glad it wasn't too traumatic. I just have a question.....are you going to eat those veggies once you thaw them out?? :)

kim-d said...

Awww...awww...just so sweet. And "Poor Daddy" looks like he's just as happy as can be. What a guy! And you! You look terrific; praise The Lord for epidurals!

I just couldn't be happier for you, and can't wait to get to "know" SJ :)!

Jenny said...

What a great post Abbie!!! I'm SO happy you had a fun and easy time. My second was like that, too....then my last was the worst. Consider stopping now!!!
You're all so cute and I'm just so happy for you!

Aj Schwanz said...

Dude, you're so good at labor now: you should go for another! (HA!) :D

What a lovie: can't wait to meet her!

Lacey said...

Wow, she is beautiful. Your little birth story gave me chills. And your veggies cracked me up. You have and write with great humor. Welcome to the world sweet little Samantha Jane!!

Steph said...

Oh my goodness...you guys are precious! And you are one hilarious girl. I wish I could hug you!
Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

I am SO glad that it was a good (and more importantly, painless) experience. Plus, seeing those little baby cheeks just makes me goo-goo and gaa-gaa at the computer screen :)

MKHKKH said...

I can so see you army crawling across the floor. LOL. I am so happy this time things went better for you and she is just precious. You have a beautiful family. Well done mama!