Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fussy Wussy

Holy crap balls it's been forever and a day, huh?

I have managed to survive (barely) for the last week and a half without internet in our house. Our lame-o computer cord decided to start sparking and being the responsible people we are, we figured it would be more expensive to pay for fire damage than a new cord, so, we unplugged the sucker and waited for a good sale on a replacement cord.

Can you say $20 off?! YEEAHHHH baby we are SO back in business!!

Anyway...the faulty computer cord was only the start of my woes.

Silly me thought this new baby thing would be CAKE. Liv was seriously the easiest baby on the planet. Rarely cried, never really cared to be held much, just wanted to chill on her own and take in her surroundings on her own terms. So why would my second child be any different? Oh boy is God laughing hysterically at me right now for my stupidity....

This little doll is a FUSSER. Sweet Mary, if she's hungry, she screams. If she's wet, she screams. If you go to change that uncomfortable wet diaper, she screams. If we lay her on her back, she screams. The child is constipated. She screams. She has some acid reflux issues, she screams. We've started her on medicine to help with the pukey issue, she screams. We put her down for a mili-second, she screams. Yowza. Mama is EXHAUSTED.

I have become an official baby-wearer with this little one. Liv HATED being in any kind of baby carrier. Miss Samantha? You guessed it, can't stand to NOT be in one. My saving grace has been my new Moby Wrap baby carrier. And doncha know you can haul a child up to 45 pounds in the thing?? If you could please introduce me to someone who feels the need to carry their 45 pound child around in a baby carrier, please let me know. I would love to smack them on the head. Hard.
But in all seriousness, this has been the one thing to IMMEDIATELY calm her down. Oh and this:
This be her new best friend: the hot water bottle. Fill that puppy up with warm water, lay her on her side with her belly up against it, and she's happy. For about 5 minutes, until she realizes that you have PUT HER DOWN AND NOW I'M GOING TO SCREAM AND THROW FOUL LANGUAGE AT YOU IN MY INDECIPHERABLE BABY LANGUAGE!!!

The child is three weeks old, and her Diva-like attitude is already shining through.

In all seriousness though, while I do realize her temperament IS completely different from what Liv's was, I know she just plain doesn't feel good. Between her play-doh like poop and her constant stream of baby-spew, I just want to cry for her. What kind of mother am I to have ripped her from her incredibly comfortable little home inside my belly where life was just sunshine and rainbows and throw her into this hell that consists of constipation and excitedly loud big sisters??

She's shown signs of feeling a bit better since switching to those Dr. Browns bottles and starting her on the meds that her pediatrician prescribed for her acid reflux. PRAISE THE LORD.

I'm shocked at the amount of patience I have with this little screaming bundle. John and I were reminiscing the other night about how NUMEROUS times we felt the need to throw Liv through the window as a baby because her screaming fits, though very far and few between, MADE ME WANT TO RIP MY EARS OFF AND EAT THEM. We haven't experienced that feeling with Sam though, even though her screams are pretty continuous. Maybe it's the fact that knowing you can somewhat calm her just by simply snuggling her to your chest so she can hear your heart beat that makes things seem a little bit sweeter.


Through the screams and lack of poo, I find myself incredibly in love with my little family. I'm realizing that I'm LOVING being a mommy to two girls, screams and all.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Abbie she is so cute even though the screaming is probably a bit much at times she really is precious. So I have a question did Livie have the acid reflux problem? I'm worried mine will because I've had it pretty bad for a few years now and afraid all pass it on. Was just curious?

Aj Schwanz said...

Jason walked by and saw the last picture and just.started.laughing. :)

Aw, friend: so there with ya. Second one: yowly. First one: received no patience. Second one: received much more patience. Another baby item that might help (*totally* made the difference with my littlest man): the kiddopotamus blanket. It's a swaddling blanket with velcro. Seriously changed our lives. Knowning your little one likes being all snuggly, it might be a good investment. (Or something to tell the grandparents to get). :)

Krista Motsinger said...

*sigh* someone to relate to me!!! Abbie...my dear beautiful tired mommy...at 2 months it gets better!! Peyton too is a way fussier baby. Logan was a total angel! When he cried...it freaked me out because that meant that really was something majorly wrong, because he NEVER cried! Hang in there girl! You rock as a mom. Livie is proof of that! Take care.

Kelly said...

Awww, sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it lately. Does that mean she doesn't sleep at night either?? I had 2 of those. The only advice I can give is "This too shall pass". Lord knows I've chanted that to myself a million times over the years!!

Love the new pictures.

The Cantrall's said...

Abbie, I KNOW how you feel! Elliott is over 21 lbs now and still prefers to be strapped to me! I'm thinking you're going to have to hit upside the head because I seriously think I'll be one of those moms having to carry her 45lb child! :) Think of it this way, we burn more calories this way! Ha ha.

MKHKKH said...

Abbie! So good to see you back. I just figured that whole newborn thing had you away. ;) Sorry you have a fussy wussy. I was so like you. My first 2 would qualify as the best babies in the world. I of course just chalked it up to super parenting. LOL God loves to humble us. He gave us Kaitlin with colic. She made me understand why people shake their babies :( It was such a hard time. I hope you can keep your chin up and that she starts feeling better soon. You have a beautiful family. Loves and hugs.

peachsgurl said...

Im sorry Sam is giving you such a hard time.... I think I know what it is though.... she misses her Auntie Andrea ;)
All she needs is a good dose of loving from Auntie and she will be all better( wouldnt that be nice)

Give both my beautiful nieces big hugs and kisses for me!

love you

Jennifer said...

If that picture of the two of them isn't the cutest darn thing ever, I don't know what is!

Sorry Samantha isn't feeling well. I know everyone has opinions (because don't all mothers) but I wonder if it's some sort of milk allergy...? My Gabriel went through something VERY similar. Makes you sad and miserable to see your little baby in pain and not know how to fix it. Hope it gets better really REALLY soon :)

Oh, and your comment about ripping off your ears and eating them made me laugh REALLY loud.

kim-d said...

Awww, poor Sam! I just DO NOT LIKE IT AT ALL when little babies don't feel good. The picture of her with her hot water bottle was so cute and so sad all at the same time; her little tummy must hurt so bad. Where she is really lucky, though, is that she has such a great Mommy...and Daddy and Big Sister, too.

Liv...ahhh, what a gal :)! For some reason, I think it's fairly certain that she probably provides some comic relief in between Sam Screams. Right? Hehehehe...TOO cute, both of them!

Rebekah and Arthur Walker said...

ahhh Abbie...you are by far the dang funniest mom I've ever met, no seriously. You're posts crack me right the heck up! I was dying laughing, not about the little ones, just the way you write it and explain it. Just like I would too. We're so very alike, yet never get a chance to hang out. Someday my dear ole friend, someday. Oh and like I always tell you on myspace. You have ADORABLE little ones...